The Legacy of the Worldwide Church of God

What it was like growing up in a cult and its impact on my life and others like me.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The heart of the matter

Ive been thinking about reasons why we, as individuals, become so impassioned for causes. What are we seeking? What are we needing? What is the heart of what drives us?

For some I guess it may be vengence for concieved wrongs. For others to help others so they are not hurt. For others to feel better about themselves.

For me, I know, I have felt the need to tell my story. For people to know what has hurt me and how I have coped and started to move on. But I guess at the base of all that it is just the need to feel safe and loved and worth something.

If you think about it as I child that is all we needed. To feel safe, loved, and important to someone. And as a child when you dont have that you start learning ways to cope in a world that doesnt offer you those benefits. But all in all isnt that what we need as humans to survive. To feel safe, loved, and important to someone.

I think when things work against those basic principles of feeling safe, loved and important, than we are causing harm. And that harm comes in many forms. Be it religion or any other thing that takes away our capacity to care for other humans. It is the true acts of unconditional kindness and nonjudgement that allow us to carry on the human race instead of destroying it. If we could work towards making others feel safe, and loved, and valued maybe the world would be a better place.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger Cyndy said…

    I have to smile as I taken time to read thru your blogs... you keep going girl... keep sorting it out... Having grown up in the same belief... there is identity is what you are saying... just remember.... He faithful to heal the wounds of the past... He is a good God :):)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home