The Legacy of the Worldwide Church of God

What it was like growing up in a cult and its impact on my life and others like me.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The fear of being unredeemable

Perhaps another one of my biggest fears about God that The Worldwide Church of God instilled in me is that if I knew and understood the truth as the WWCG saw it and then chose not to accept it, I would lose my eternal life. They considered this a deadly sin. To know the "truth" and to turn away from it. But doesnt every religion on the face of the earth teach, to an extent the same thing? They all want to be right. They all require submission to the church leadership.

Sometimes I still wonder if I am endangering my soul by not following a religion. But religion is basically all about having faith. And having faith is believing sight unseen what other men have taught us. And what if they arent teaching us right?

To me, my faith is believing there is a God. A God that is removed from the pettiness of this world. That remains unprejudiced against all people. That sees the good in people. That wants us to make the most of the life he gave us while we have it. That believes in love and compassion and forgiveness. I can have this faith without anyone telling me how I should be having it and what I should be doing to keep it. That is between me, my faith, and God.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger colbster said…

    you've got it right.Its all about faith and your relationship with God.MANS rules and regulations have no part in it. Lets earase "unredeemable" from our vocabulary. I dont believe there is such a thing as unredeemable.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home